“If you don’t like what you are getting, change what you are doing.”
I’ve applied this principle to many areas of my life and it always works.
I’ve thought about this topic a lot and had some reservations about posting because the answer is so simple and obvious that some of you will say things like, “That is so stupid.”
But, here goes.
If you feel like you are a Ticket Magnet, ask yourself, “What is causing all of those tickets?” Do you get speeding tickets because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time? Are you unlucky and happen to get pulled over by officers who happen to have a “thing” for drivers? The list could go on.
The “real” reason is you were speeding. Speeding is the number one cause of speeding tickets. Doh!
When I'm tempted to speed, I remember a simple rule. Even if I speed, I’ll still probably be late. And if I get pulled over for speeding, I'm guaranteed an hour or more of additional delay while the officer does his paperwork and looks at my rig and paperwork for opportunities to issue more tickets.
I have found that when I think I'm behind schedule and might be late, it is better to call and let “them" know. Call as soon as you think you are going to be late. Besides being a common courtesy to my customer/dispatcher, it also takes a lot of pressure off of me. After I make the call, I'm concentrating on the road instead of worrying.
Four Kinds of Speeding
Two kinds of speeding have to do with going faster than the posted speed limit. The third kind is situational and can get you a speeding ticket even when you are going much slower than the posted speed limit. Last is the new favorite, the Photo Enforcement Zone.
Posted Zones
There are two kinds of posted speed zones. There are normal street and highway speed limits, which fall into the first kind. Then there are the “special” speed zones like school and construction zones.
When you are driving in normal speed zones most officers will allow a bit of “cushion.” That means you can go a little faster than the posted limit and you probably won’t get pulled over for speeding. But, remember, five miles an hour over the posted speed is different in a twenty-five mph zone than it is in a sixty-five mph zone.
Special Enforcement Zones
School and construction zones are special in the context of speeding. In many jurisdictions, these are rigorously enforced because of the increased risks and hazards. So, a zero tolerance policy has been adopted in these special zones. And with good reason because accidents in special zones are more often associated with speeding.
The best practice is to drive at or below the posted speed in special zones.
Reasonable and Prudent
Reasonable and prudent refers to a test that an officer or judge can use to justify a ticket and fine. Roughly translated, it means that given road, weather or traffic conditions, an officer can issue a speeding ticket even though the driver may be going way under the posted speed limit.
An example might be driving sixty-five on a clear highway with no traffic where the posted speed is seventy. But, there is ice or snow on the roadway. Or, a car is stalled in the slow lane and there are pedestrians standing on the roadway.
The law says that a citation can be issued when you go faster than a hypothetical reasonable and prudent would drive given the conditions at the moment.
Years ago, I was in Texas and it snowed the night before. Just a light dusting of an inch or two. And it stuck on the blacktop. I was driving and had adjusted to the conditions. Two drivers blew past me as though it was a summer day. I shook my head in disbelief.
A few miles later, one of them was jack-knifed in the center median, a Texas State patrol car already there and the officer was writing up the ticket(s). Five miles later, the second one had skidded off the road and was in the bar-ditch on the right side. The driver was standing in the snow looking at his rig in disbelief.
Were those drivers speeding? Not according to the posted speed limit, which was seventy mph. Were they driving at a speed that was “reasonable and prudent?” I don’t think so, given the road conditions.
Photo enforcement began as a tool used to catch drivers running red lights. Then photo enforcement evolved to catch speeders on streets and highways. The idea is simple. Either a roadbed sensor or radar detector measures the speed of passing vehicles. When the speed exceeds a programmed limit, special cameras take pictures of the driver and license plates. The pictures are collected, license plate numbers are matched to the registered owner and a citation is printed and mailed to them.
If the face in the picture is not the registered owner, the ticket can be disputed. But, the name of the person behind the wheel has to be revealed so the ticket can be reissued. That includes your company if they get a Photo Enforcement ticket for the truck you were driving.
Photo Enforcement leads to some strange and even humorous driving. Locals, used to camera locations will go fast between cameras, then slow down when getting close the next one. Sometimes things like shadows cast on the road that look like roadbed sensors cause drivers to abruptly slow down. Some drivers slow to a crawl as though they don’t know what the real speed limit is. Speeders slam on the brakes when the flash tubes go off.
Photo Enforcement is supposed to make roads safer by slowing down traffic. Mostly it only slows down traffic near the cameras. Most locals quickly learn where the cameras are and adjust quickly.
To avoid an electronic speeding ticket, don’t speed in front of a camera. Doh!
In summary, this is what I put into practice to avoid getting speeding tickets.
Always be aware of what the posted speed limit is. "I didn't see the sign," usually isn't a good excuse. If you are a professional driver, you are expected to know this. Or, come up with a really original excuse.
Under normal conditions, know the “real" limits. What I mean is to adjust your speed to match the circumstances. In California, the posted speed limit for Big Trucks is 55 mph. In rural areas, a driver can go up to about 62 mph without attracting attention from the local “Smokey." In urban areas it is better to slow down.
In special enforcement zones like school and construction zones, stay at or below the posted limit.
Adjust your speed when special conditions exist. Like for weather, traffic and other conditions that make it dangerous to drive at the posted speed limit. It is far better to be late than to risk damaging or destroying your load and equipment.
Or worse if your actions lead to hurting innocent people. That includes your family if you do something that causes you to loose your license and means of supporting them.




No comments:
Post a Comment